Today is our 9th wedding anniversay and I know many people are really surprised that we have actually made it.
We met through friends at a BYU student ward. Neither of us were students at BYU and just happen to be there on the same day. We started hanging out because my friend was really interested in his friend. I did not like Chris at all. I didn't dislike him, but he kind of bugged me. I was actually still sitting back waiting for a certain someone to move forward with our relationship, but it didn't look like it was going to happen.
My friend talked me into going on a weekend trip to San Diego with a few people including Chris. I did not want to go at all because Chris was really forward and I was absolutely not interested in him. We got to know each other really well during that trip. At least as much as you can over a weekend. I started to look at him differently. I told my friend that I thought I might be starting to like him, but I can't. I have to find out what is going to happen with ......... first. That next week was my birthday, and I am pretty sure that my friend was helping Chris figure out a way to get me to go out with him. If Chris and I started dating then it benefitted her as well, since she really liked his best friend. It sounds so high school, I know. Anyway, that other certain someone didn't call, didn't send a card, he did nothing for my birthday. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but because of what happened next, it changed the rest of my life. Chris drove from Salt Lake City to Orem (about 40 minutes) just to bring me flowers, a balloon, and a card at work on my birthday. He handed them to me and left without saying a word and drove home. Simple, but that was all it took. We went out on an official date the following night.
We were engaged after one month (not recommended). I think the most common reaction from family and friends was "Are you insane?" The answer to that would be YES! We were engaged for almost a year (also not recommended) because my parents were on a mission at the time. Chris did not meet them until a week before we got married. That one I would recommend. We know that if we had had more time to spend with each others families, we never would have gotten married. Sad, but true.
So now 9 years and almost 4 kids later, he is still my best friend. Chris has always treated me better than any man I have ever known. It took me a long time to get use to being treated like that. To be honest, I didn't like it at first. It felt too strange. We have had our ups and downs and a lot of sideways, but I think we finally have it right. He will always be a pain in my backside and me in his, but we make it work and that is why I love him.
To Chris: You know I don't do mushy, but I hope you know how much I love you and how much I really do appreciate what you do for me and our kids. Happy Anniversary!
On a side note, Chris' friend (that was dating my friend) ended up getting married about a week before us to a different girl. Ouch!! Neither friend stays in contact with us anymore. Too many painful memories perhaps. :)


10 comments:
Happy Anniversary!!! I still have no idea what your husband looks like. Hope you guys have a great day.
Aaahhh! Happy Anniversary! I remember you telling me about Chris and how "he bugged"...funny when I found out you were engaged to him I was like "WHAT?? WHO?? ARE YOU SURE??" Sounds like it was meant to be all along! Laughing about the meeting family comments!! Do you think Ann would have scared him off?? :) P.S. You were a beautiful bride!! I love that picture!
Happy Anniversary! I was totally thinking the same thing as Jenny and Autumn...I don't have any idea what your husband looks like, and you that picture is awesome, you were gorgeous!
Happy Anniversay! I remember coming to your reception everything was very beautiful.
Amazing picture! I loved your straight talk "this is how it is" tribute; way more genuine when not sugar-coated - love it!
You do look beautiful! And I too would like to see what Chris looks like. Maybe your next post could be pictures of your hubby.
*faints* Oh, Chris is SO dreamy!!
A few things:
1. My grammy, Ann, almost scared MY dad off, I'm sure she would have frightened Chris, but he'd still stick around! Haha...
2. Leigh is a HAWT mama. Oh.. my... gosh.. I hope my wedding is as glorious. *daydreaming.*
That is so great! I guess it just goes to show that you never can tell how people's marriages will turn out. Everyone has always told us that we were a "perfect" couple and now we, after almost 10 years, are going through a divorce. I know there is no real good way to tell someone about such an event so I thought I would just throw it out there so you knew what was going on.
Congratulations on your Anniversary! I hope you two stay together forever!
Hey!! we found your blog and we have one too!! it is themaylettfamily.blogspot.com
love,
Brookelyn
Post a Comment